Monday, July 19, 2010

Today's tip ....


I'm not trying to act like I reinvented the wheel with this ... trust me I know everyone has been doing it forever. But just like it took this surgery for me to finally comprehend that PROTEIN is the key to weight loss, it also took me a year post op to discover the wonderful world of protein smoothies. What can I say, I'm a very slow learner aka hard headed as hell. ::grin::

So last night (on day 15 of Ambien withdraw and no sleep) I was forced to watch infomercials .... the Magic Bullet to be exact. Now truth be told I bought the Magic Bullet about 5 years ago and made homemade salsa once and put it in the back of the cabinet never to be seen again. Long story short after watching the obnoxiously annoying couple make everything from 3 second nachos to Alfredo sauce in my sleep deprived haze, I got worked up into a Bullet frenzy. First thing this morning I went in search of the silver genius and got started making a breakfast smoothie.

In my Bullet cup I put:
1 cup of coffee
1 scoop Whey Isolate 28 protein powder (28 grams protein)
hand full of ice
.5 cup milk (4 grams protein)
1 Tbsp of Peanut Butter (3.5 grams of protein)

It was SO freak'n good! I mean almost "treat worthy" good. Now don't get me wrong, the calorie count on this very well may not be worth it to most people. But if you are exercising ... and you eat very little like I do (most GBS patients), the benefit of the protein in this far out weighs the calories. Also, you can tweak this anyway you like ... don't add the peanut butter and limit the amount of milk and the calories drop by a huge amount and it is still very yummy.

You can also use other liquid protein drinks (which can be a little yucky) and make a smoothie with frozen fruit to cover up the taste.

Even if you haven't had GBS or Lapband you can benefit by getting added protein in their diet. Let me know if give one a try. ::smile::


4 comments:

  1. I LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS..I'D RATHER DRINK THAN EAT IN THE HOT SUMMER MONTHS..SO WHERE DO YOU GET THE PROTEIN POWDER?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's time for me to seriously get back on track with my eating. I agree that (for me too) protein is very important for my weight loss. Where do you get the protein powder? How does it taste. I am not one for protein shakes. I need something where the powder totally dissolves and tastes good.

    I'm gonna keep coming here for support and inspiration. :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey what else do you eat? besides shakes lol and do you exercise if so what? just interested!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whey protein isolate and protein powder with perfect schedule will help you to make a perfect health.
    -whey protein

    ReplyDelete

Princess FatBeGone

Princess FatBeGone